Saving lives thru prevention, improving communities
Overpopulation of stray dogs and cats is a major problem in our country and it is no different at our beach community. You don’t need to drive much on any of the highways to spot countless animal carcasses lying on the side of the roads or come across starving, sick puppies digging in piles of garbage. This is a horrible sight to look at that never fails to leave us feeling very sad and helpless.
We always felt the need to get involved, but were not sure how to go about it. The challenges to overcome seemed far too complex when reaching out to underserved rural communities focused on survival themselves.
Our luck changed when by chance we met a team of volunteering vets. With their leadership, commitment and passion we did our first in-house sponsored Spay & Neuter Campaign in April 2015. Ten committed pet owners brought their pets and were very grateful to us for the opportunity.
In 2016 we decided to do it again but this time we had a larger dream: we invited friends and individual donors, mostly property owners in the area, to help us with our second Campaign. And on May 2016, the results were amazing:
• 8 VOLUNTEER VETS COMMITTED THEIR TIME AND SKILLS
• ON A 15 HOUR NON-STOP SHIFT
• FOCUSED ON IMPROVING THE CONDITIONS OF 21 RURAL PETS THRU SPAYING & NEUTERING
• WE SAW AN ENTIRE COMMUNITY OF PET OWNERS ACTIVELY INVOLVED IN OUR COMBINED EFFORT!
Two weeks later, our impact grew:
30 VETERINARY STUDENTS ASKED TO JOIN BY DEWORMING 74 PETS TO INCREASE SANITATION IN THE AREA
The experience was clear proof that we can make a significant difference in the community. Casa Kickapoo CARES about animal health and reproduction control in the area. We can certainly educate on responsible pet ownership and break through cultural misconceptions such as ‘male castration’.
There is a lot of hard work ahead… yet, we are fully committed to make this a permanent activity that has significant long-term impact.
We sure need all the help we can get. Please find out how you can get involved!
Moved by our deep love and respect for animals and by our understanding of struggling rural communities and their relationship with their pets, we are committed to make a long-term impact in Costa del Sol by working towards the following goals:
• 100 spaying & neutering surgeries/year
• Visibly reduced population of stray animals in beach areas
• Delivery of awareness and education programs
• Encouraging teamwork and solidarity within the community and beyond
• Promoting a culture of respect for the environment
Here is what you can do:
• Sponsor surgeries ……………………… $40/each
• Donate for meds ……………………… $25
• Donate for recovery …………………… $20
• Food …………………………………….. $40
• Be a ChangeMaker …………………….. $200
Please feel free to contact us at: